This topic is locked

Could this be done?

1/28/2004 2:32:38 PM
ASPRunnerPro General questions
author

Ok, first off, wonderfull app! This is great!

I am hoping to use this to create a front end to search our museums archive of letters, which are in an access database. So far, it looks great. The only features I would like to add would be the following...

1. The data entry person uses a number to represent the sender of all letters in the archive to save space (and time). Can I have the query translate the number into the name from a different table in the same db?
  2. I would like to be able to search date ranges. ex 1800 to 1810. Of course this poses two problems, the first of which is to have it know a range, and the second is to search the year only.
    My thoughts on these are that they should not be difficult. The first one would just have to use the key value (number used to represent the sender). For the second one, I could use semicolens to seperate the beginning and end to the range. I would just need to have the script recognize that it is a range, and lode the two into variable strings like "01/01/"firstdate and "12/31/"lastdate. There are more possibilities, but I think that would be more than enough to get the job done.
    Any thoughts on where to start?

500995 1/29/2004

Ok, forget the first question. I just created a query in the database to do the combination and just ran ASP runner off of the qury rather than the table.
But what about allowing a search range?

What if, the syntax in the search was: %1800%1810%

Make the search script check for the char % if exist, load between first % set = value1 between second % set = value2

if ((value1-value2)<0) then

Value1=date1

value2=date2

else

value1=date2

value2=date1
//date then search for all entries where

cellvalue>=date1 and cellvalue<=date2
I am not that good with asp, I just tinkle, but I think that could work. I just need to know how you would check the existance of the % in the search box. I think this will not be too hard to implement and could be used for many things other than dates. Say someone financial wiz wants to find all deposits recorded in the database that were between $1000 and $1500. We just really need either need to have a defining charecter in the search box or, make a new option in the drop down that say range and have it spawn two search boxes instead of one. I would love to work on this with you! Let me know if there is anything I can do!

Sergey Kornilov 1/30/2004

Bill,
Between search can be implemented by adding additional text box for second value on advanced search page.
I will add this option in one of the following versions of ASPRunner.