This topic is locked
[SOLVED]

Anyone else see recent poor Chrome/Chromium performance?

4/6/2021 10:52:43 AM
ASPRunner.NET General questions
FrankR_ENTA author

This isn't about ASPRunner.NET per se, but still I thought one of you may be able to help.

About 2 weeks ago, we noticed a significant drop in performance with ASPRunner.NET apps that have Lookup wizard dropdown lists for search filters that are fairly lengthy.
I’m not talking about thousands of items in the dropdown list, but, even just 50 or so. Specifically, this happens on List pages for Search fields that use the Lookup wizard.

The poor performance takes the form of the list taking a while to display, and it also takes the form of sometimes not responding to a click in the list.

This appears to be specific to Chromium based browsers.
It is happening in Chrome and in the latest Edge, but it does Not happen in the legacy Edge and Firefox. The apps in those browsers are still lightning fast.

This has to be something related to a recent Chrome build, or, perhaps a Windows 10 update.

Have any of you experienced this or have heard anything about this?

Thank you.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/msedge_other-msedge_win10/edge-lags-freezes-on-website-dropdown-menus/5c7262e8-b20a-466c-ac93-6569138807a9?from=mostrelevant

Pete K 4/6/2021

Frank, I have noticed this as well. However, it doesn't appear to be limited to webapps built with ASPR. I've seen it on other websites. I've been assuming it's an issue with my machine, which needs more memory and has been generally slow of late. But your post inspired me to try it with Firefox, and so far I have not seen the behavior with that browser. So I think you're right in assuming it is related to Chrome. I'm using it on Win 10 as well. Maybe Microsoft slipped something in to dicourage Chrome users ;)

—Pete

Pete K 4/6/2021

I found this, which may be relevant. Could be a Bootstrap issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/mc2wek/select_element_on_chrome_crashes_the_whole_page/

FrankR_ENTA author 4/6/2021

Thanks for posting that, Pete.

How much memory do you have on your machine? I currently have 16G. When I see a significant delay, if I race over the Task Manager, I can observe rapid memory use growth by Chrome.

Off to go read your Bootstrap citing.

Pete - your Reddit citing was the ticket. We owe you. :)

Changing this:

.form-control {

// turn this off ....

-webkit-transition: border-color ease-in-out .15s, box-shadow ease-in-out .15s;

transition: border-color ease-in-out .15s, box-shadow ease-in-out .15s;

}

to this:

.form-control select {
-webkit-transition: none !important;
transition: none !important;
}

}

completely solves it. Thank you so much.

Easy fix, as set up by my colleague Jason:

Simply code this one time in the header, using the Editor:

select.form-control {

-webkit-transition: none !important;

-moz-transition: none !important;

-o-transition: none !important;

transition: none !important;

}

Wrap that in style tags.

Works beautifully again. Thanks to Pete, Jason, and the folks on Reddit. Very grateful. Was losing sleep over this.

Pete K 4/9/2021

Awesome. Teamwork, right? :)

jadachDevClub member 4/9/2021

Just curious. I have not noticed anything. My default browser is Edge. Where would I see evidence of this slowness?
Thanks