This topic is locked

PHPR 4.0 Build 241

5/5/2007 6:01:35 AM
PHPRunner General questions
J
Jepsen author

The PHPR is getting better and better. I have converted all my projects 3.1 and before to 4.0 and testet.
As long as I do not use any of the 4.0 functionality, but keep my applications as is, everything works. I consider it safe to use 4.0 for my old projects and I have uninstalled PHPR 3.1 and previous versions ond work only in PGP 4.0.
All the major issues in 4.0 appear to have been solved and it has really become a very good package. But there are still some minor issues.
FTP upload issue

There is some kind of instability issue with FTP still. Occasionally the programme stalls (freezes) when i start FTP upload. It appears to happen only then i upload updated files only, but I am not sure. It also appears to happen more freequently when I have not saved the project prior to upload.
AJAX issues

The AJAX functionality is really elegant. It not appears that the "LIKE" search is implemented. However, here are some observations:

• On the list page, AJAX search does not happen in all fields. It appears to be somewhat random what fields are included in the ajax search and I cannot find anywhere to control it.
  • When searching, the typed characters becomes bold in the result (that is great). However, when you then select the result the formatting characters are copied with the result into the dialogue box. Example, i find the "Carbine M1" by typing "M1". When I lift the result out it appears like this in the dialogue box "Carbine <B>M1</B>". Because of the formatting, the search returns null.

mouse over link to Details table

Is there a way to switch this function off?. It is not always something you want, especially if you have 200 details for one item.
Apart from these items, this is really starting to look good. You guys have been working hard the last week or two. But you really make results.
Regards

Morten

J
Jepsen author 5/5/2007

Additional AJAX issue
AJAX appers to be unable to handle scandinavian characters (æÆøØåÅ).

Any database in scandinavian language would be unable to benefit from AJAX functionality if it cannot handle the scandinavian characters.
Regards

Morten Jepsen

Alexey 5/8/2007

Morten,
thank you for pointing me to these bugs.

We work on them.
Could give me a bit more info on scandinavian characters issue ?

Where do you have these characters ? How can I reproduce this error ?

J
Jepsen author 5/8/2007

Alexey
The scandinavian characters lies in the extended ascii area. Gere are the decimal ascii values:
Normal: 145 Capital: 146 ( æ / Æ )

Normal: 148 Capital: 153 ( ø / Ø )

Normal: 134 Capital: 143 ( å / Å )
Try making an entry in a database using one or more of these characters and then let AJAX find the charactor. It cannot.
Every third word in my language have one of these letters. So AJAX do not add any value to a scandinavian database unless it can search the scandinavian characters.
:-)

Morten

J
jacekq 5/8/2007

Hi Morten,

Additional AJAX issue

AJAX appers to be unable to handle scandinavian characters (æÆøØåÅ).

Any database in scandinavian language would be unable to benefit from AJAX functionality if it cannot handle the scandinavian characters.

IMHO the problem lies in proper conversion to UTF-8. I've met similar poblem with polish characters and other AJAX apps (not PHP Runner). Solution was to convert fields from ISO8859-2 to UTF-8 before sending it by AJAX - for ex. using PHP function iconv("iso8859-2", "UTF-8", $str);
Hope it'll be helpfull...
Best Rgds,

Jacek

X
xliner 5/8/2007

Alexey

The scandinavian characters lies in the extended ascii area. Gere are the decimal ascii values:
Normal: 145 Capital: 146 ( æ / Æ )

Normal: 148 Capital: 153 ( ø / Ø )

Normal: 134 Capital: 143 ( å / Å )
Try making an entry in a database using one or more of these characters and then let AJAX find the charactor. It cannot.
Every third word in my language have one of these letters. So AJAX do not add any value to a scandinavian database unless it can search the scandinavian characters.
:-)

Morten

Morten,
the following guide on UTF-8 issues is great:
http://www.nicknettleton.com/zine/php/php-...cheatsheet#body
Enjoy !

Sergey Kornilov 5/9/2007

Thanks, we are looking into this.

J
jacekq 5/9/2007

I've forgotten to mention that I must modify 'dbconnection.my.php' everytime after installation of a new version of PHP Runner. Modification looks like:

if (!$conn || !mysql_select_db($sys_dbname,$conn))

{

trigger_error(mysql_error(), E_USER_ERROR);

}

else

db_query('SET names latin2',$conn);

This is required because of polish national characters in MySQL tables (version 4.15 up and 5.0 up). MySQL server works natively in UTF-8, but it should be informed what is the character set of a client, which is connected to it. If it knows that MySQL server makes proper character set conversions on the fly. So PHP should be set to proper character set to display national characters properly.

Unfortunately, PHPR is not setup automaticaly
Best Rgds,

Jacek