This topic is locked
[SOLVED]

Document management system - file preview?

2/26/2024 7:03:02 AM
PHPRunner General questions
D
david powell author

Hi All,

I am attempting to build a document management system into my site.

Would be great when users are processing a load of documents they have uploaded is to see a preview of the document

• there are some plugins that allow most documents to be preiewed in a browser ( but need to have default action to view file rather than download, and permissoin may be an issue)

• or the document could be loaded up into is application on the client pc. ( but this would mean triggering the loading of a file into excel rather than just a download which I dont think is possible)

• or convert the file to html and then view that - this might be the est way, but can the coversion be automated via asprunner? or would they have to be manually converted first which would be a pain.

Has anyone explored what options are available currently, or any workarounds? I am sure I am not hte first person to consider this might be a really useful process, and wonder what people have done up to now to overcome it.

David

C
cristi 2/26/2024

My advice: don't use phprunner for this; it's too complicated and there are already full free open source solutions that work very well in tandem - I use at work a combination of Nextcloud and OnlyOffice (Nextcloud has a plugin for onlyoffice) - works great with versioning, history, previews, online office doc editing, collaboration, etc

D
david powell author 2/26/2024

Sound advice.
Thank you!