This topic is locked

Database efficiency question

12/5/2023 5:54:13 PM
PHPRunner General questions
K
kenny_robb author

This might seem like a strange question but please stay with me.....

I have a fairly large project which has evolved and has 10 tables and 30 views which I have created in Phprunner with all the access control, events etc etc
Obviously I could create the same views in in database layer and then add the access control etc etc

Phprunner takes a bit longer to load the project and I am not finished yet....

Does anyone have any thoughts on which is more efficient?
a. Build the views in the database layer
b. Build the views in Phprunner

Thanks in anticipation

Kenny

fhumanes 12/6/2023

Hi Kenny,

From my experience, I think it has no relevance that the view is from the database manager or PHPRunner.

It catches my attention that you have 10 tables (which are relatively few) and have 30 views, you may not be designing your data method or your application, correctly.

What they have communicated with me, I think, can explain that I am very heavy in which the design of the database is very important and that there are very good and free tools, to do that job. In MySQL the MySQL Workbench tool.

If you have performance problems, you have to analyze which SQL are the ones that most cost the data manager.

In this article I explain very briefly how you can check these accesses (always with MySQL). https://fhumanes.com/blog/guias-desarrollo/guia-12-phprunner-optimizar-accesos-a-mysql/

I hope I have helped and apologize that you have questioned that your data model is correct. You can know this only.

Greetings,
fernando

K
kenny_robb author 12/6/2023

Hi Fernando,
appreciate the reply. I already use MySQL Workbench. I shall read your article and see if I can get anything out of it.

No worries on the data model, the database has more grown and I have treied to design it in such a way its as efficient as possible.
The user requirements have dictated the use oif views and it was easy and quick to get it done.
I will let you know if I get any insight

Kenny

admin 12/7/2023

It doesn't really matter if you create a custom view in PHPRunner or in the database. It is mostly a matter of convenience.

In regards to project loading speed - it is going to be much faster in version 11. We have already shown a preview of how fast projects can be loaded and saved in one of our DevClub webinars.