This topic is locked

Incoming communication (Mail, SMS etc.) and PHPRunner solutions

11/30/2022 9:38:31 AM
PHPRunner General questions
mbintex author

Question is, how are you dealing with incoming communication in your solutions? Sending emails and SMS is quite easy with PHPRunner, but what about incoming calls, mails, SMS etc?

I once bought the email template from Xlinesoft and adapted it to my needs and used it for an inhouse help desk solution – till the day, someone sent me a virus as attachment and got a friendly notice from my provider, that my account would be closed, if I wouldn´t stop that. Then I suddenly noticed – should have thought about it before of course – that saving attachments can be very dangerous. I immediately stopped using this solution and so far never came back to it. Currently we are without any solution for incoming communication.

So what to do about it? Don´t know how I could build a antivirus system my self, but email without attachments? No sense in that.

Then I thought about using an API for example for outlook.com. But this becomes a) very laborious with x mail accounts, y folders and so forth and b) is Outlook only. What about Google, iCloud and all the other IMAP mail servers out there? iCloud does not have an API at all, does it?

And even if I did all the work for at least all big player APIs, what about the following problems?

• How to link mails and people, if people often use several mail accounts or change them regularly? If I can´t link, I can´t really add any additional custom features to mail.
  • How to compete with a custom made solution for SAAS with Google mail or Outlook.com at all? Inventing the wheel again?
  • Who would pay for it, if you get the big players often for free or very low fares?
  • Could Zapier, Make, MS PowerAutomate and so forth be an alternative? But they only link to one email-address. Could my customers build a Zap on their own? I doubt …
  • Is there perhaps an easy way to copy a mail to the database or link to it as an alternative?

And then I had a customer last days asking for integrated unified communications including not only mail, but SMS, phone calls, WhatsApp, fax. Is hat demand so absurd? I guess no, but I don´t see a solution either.

Is there anybody out there having a solution? What could it be? Any help or contribution would be appreciated.

fhumanes 12/3/2022

Hello,

I think that email proptections must be in the mail management software, so I like to use Gmail accounts, because it takes away many virus and spam problems.

For small businesses, this may be sufficient, but for large companies, these companies if they have their mail mastery on the Internet to their mail server software must provide you with protections, both for email light customers users, and for applications that integrate mail services.

I write this to you, because I see that nobody has encouraged to write you something, surely because for "small" solutions, all the integrations that you expose are raised.

Cheers,
fernando

mbintex author 12/3/2022

Thanks for your reply.

I am dreaming of a full featured mail integration in my solution. But if you have to put Gmail, Outlook or whatever in the first place just to get rid of spam, junk, viruses etc., the solution is in no way standalone, but rather an addon.

Two possible solutions I stumbled across are

Perhaps they are of interest for others too.

Don´t know though - not tested -, if they handle spam in any way and how they could be integrated in PHPRunner.

admin 12/3/2022

This is a very valid problem and a good question but it looks like you are approaching it from the wrong end.

First of all, if your web hosting company scans your files and makes threats to close your account, you should run from them as fast as possible. Just find any "normal" provider.

Second, the job of virus scanning is something that your mail server does. Gmail does it (we use Gmail for business) and no viruses make it to our inboxes, ever. I'm pretty sure that other email providers like Outlook do the same. You do not need any API for this, this is what email providers are supposed to by default.

It is not a job of software like EmailReader to scan for viruses and saving attachments is also not something that is dangerous. You just need email provider to do their job, that is all.

In regards to incoming SMS and WhatsApp messages, Twilio can do this for you and it is fairly simple.
How to forward Twilio SMS messages to your inbox article can help.

mbintex author 12/3/2022

First of all, if your web hosting company scans your files and makes threats to close your account, you should run from them as fast as possible. Just find any "normal" provider.

Really? It´s one of the top three in Germany and highly recommended everywhere. I am working with their offerings since years.

This was, what my provider told me:

VIRUS FOUND
During a routine virus scan, our system has detected files containing malicious code on your account xxxxxxx. In order to protect the visitors of your website, we have renamed and blocked these files. You can find a list of the affected files on your FTP account under: /www/htdocs/xxxxxxx/logs/viren_log_2017-05-26.txt
ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN
We recommend to instantly change all of your passwords (FTP, control panel, mail accounts) and to undertake a thorough virus and malware check on your computer. Usually there has been an unauthorized access on your account exploiting a security hole or a vulnerability in one of your scripts.
1) Please update your CMS immediately!
2) Check all folders on your webspace for infected files and assume that the scanner has not found all malware files!
3) In the case that viruses have been detected repeatedly, please clear your webspace and completely reinstall your website(s). Cleaning up a once infected website is not possible and also not useful!
4) If multiple viruses have been found, we need to reserve for ourselves to completely lock your account for webaccess in order to protect the security and the integrity of our servers and to not compromise the visitors of your website.
HELP
- In the above-mentioned file you can find the timestamp when the affected file has been last changed.
- Please check the hits on your account at that time using the FTP and access logs inside the subfolder "/logs/".

The problem came from an attachment, that was saved to a folder on the webspace. Mail server is from the same provider, so the problematic mail went through their virus checks before I guess. I used the Mail Template to fetch mails from one account, also from the same server and provider. Immediately stopped using the solution.

admin 12/3/2022

The fact that that allowed the virus through their own mail system and flagged the file later tells us they are not as competement as you might think. Check my previous post for possible solutions.

mbintex author 12/3/2022

makes me thinking ...

fhumanes 12/3/2022

Hi @mbintex.

I have worked in public administration in Spain and I know that a lot of effort and money is dedicated in the protection of emails.

It is not easy, nor is it economical. Only big corporations can dedicate all that work and money to have private services.

I have been reviewing the links that you have put and, it is my assessment without trying them, it is software to integrate mail clients that I believe do not contribute anything to the safety and control of viruses of the attached files.

If you have software that you think can be your solution and what you lack is integration with phprunner, tell me and try to integrate it between the two.

All the best
fernando

mbintex author 12/4/2022

Hi Fernando,

that is my scenario - I offer a solution for property management companies.

They get a lot of emails - most of these mails are something like "thanks", "OK" etc. and they can throw that away after they received it.

But some mails contain legal stuff, meter readings, important complaints or terminations of tenant contracts. These mails are important, have to be archived and should be part of the tenant´s and buildings history in the database (the hard part).

With the Email template I had hoped to collect mails, that were forwarded to some special purpose mail address like "archive@propmanagement.de". From there I wanted to copy the mails to the history and link them. Then came the virus thing. But even without that, the procedure is quite inconvinient for the user (he has to copy or forward these mails to a special mail address or mail folder by hand) and it means a lot of work for me, since the Mailtemplate has to be adapted very much (Saas for x customers, user management, stylesheet etc.) Some complex HTML mails are hard to show/view in a proper manner.

A dream would be something like the OneNote-button in Outlook. You have an important mail, click the button and the mail is copied to a OneNote page and archived this way. A button that would rather do the same, but copy the mail perhaps as JSON to the clipboard (where I could fetch it somehow) or directly to a database would be the hit in my eyes. Relatively little programming (I don´t know how to write such plugins though), no annoyances for the customer, no big investments for the customer, no change of the mail system for the customer (as long as it is supported by the button code) and a very quick solution.

Played with linking to mails as an alternative, but only links to mail folders really work to my testings in outlook.com. Plus many users don´t understand URLs and linking.

And I once found a plugin for Outlook Desktop for linking, but can´t find it currently/anymore.

This correlates to my thinkings:
https://www.slipstick.com/problems/outlook-missing-outlook-protocol/
https://www.erpxcloud.com/blog/our-blogs-2/odoo-for-outlook-240

Thanks

Martin