This topic is locked

TEST end LIVE Environment publishing

11/4/2022 7:15:31 AM
ASPRunner.NET General questions
E
erosolmi author

Hi,

I have a TEST and LIVE environment where to publish my projects.
At the momentmI have to change every time the output directory where to publish my project.
Is there another way to setup TEST and LIVE environment and decide where to publish without change output data every time?

Other software I use have both TEST and LIVE envvironment setup and decide where to publish.
So I can contonuously TEST/publish and when ready LIVE/Publish

I think it would be sufficient to have both environment configured in Output screen and have the possibility to Build in one or the other environment.

Thanks a lot
Eros

admin 11/4/2022

Are you saying that both test and live environments are just folders on your local machine?

We expect people to always build the project to the default output folder and then transfer to the live environment via FTP for instance. And when you define FTP connection you can also associate a server database connection with it.

E
erosolmi author 11/4/2022

Not my local machine that I use only for development.
In 2 remote machines one in my local network with a shared path and another on a VPN on Azure that has a drive mounted from an Azure File resource.

But it doesn’t matter where are my TEST and LIVE environments as far as AspRunner has two configurations.
It is up to the developer configure one or both in one way or the other and then publish in the one needed.

In the past I used CodeCharge Studio (not anymore updated) and it had the possibility to setup different out locations:
http://docs.codecharge.com/studio2/html/index.html?http://docs.codecharge.com/studio2/html/UserGuide/WorkingWithProjs/SpecifyingProjectSettings/PublishingSettings.html

When needed, developer just had to change the locations where to publish.

admin 11/4/2022

Thanks, I see what you saying, we'll think about it.

Pete K 11/4/2022

In my opinion, the best practice is to always build to your test enviroment and then transfer the files once you have confirmed that the build was sucessful. Sometimes things go wrong during the build process. At best, your application will be unavailable or unstable for the few minutes it takes to do the build. You never want to build directly to a live production site. I usually set up a batch file to transfer files from my test enviromnment to my production site because I'm old school. Most people use something like Git.

E
erosolmi author 11/4/2022

Yes, right.

Or maybe the build process can takes place locally and then transfered only at the end in the destination location using a trasnfer method configured inside AspRunner.
What I mean is that it would be convenient to remain inside your development program.

Just my opinion anyway.

Ciao