This topic is locked

Losing changes made in Designer view

11/8/2021 2:50:17 PM
ASPRunner.NET General questions
Pete K author

Is this just me, or have others seen this behavior.

Occasionally when I make design changes in the Designer, they get lost when I build the app and I have to make the changes over again. Frustratingly, is most often seems to happen when I've made many changes between builds. I've tried saving right before the build, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. It just now happened again, after I'd spent 15 minutes carefully rearranging an edit screen into a grid with lots of split and joined cells.

I'd submit a support ticket, but I can find no consistent cause. It seems to happen at random. And it may just be something with my configuration. So I'm just wondering if it has happened to anyone else.

T
Tim 11/10/2021

I have not had this happen. The only thing that is close is, on list pages, the search feilds will reset. That is frustrating, but doesn't sound nearly as bad as an entire page of edits reverting. I wonder if you made a copy of the page first and did your edits in draft mode if that would make a difference. Though, that's just a work around and it seems like the page just shouldn't be reverting.

Had you made any edits on the "Editor" page? I have seen odd behavior when I edit both on the designer and editor pages.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks,
Tim

Pete K author 11/10/2021

Thanks for the reply, Tim. I almost never make edits in the Editor anymore as it causes lots of problems, so that's not the issue. I can't seem to find any consistent pattern to this. It seems to happen randomly. The weird thing is, it has been happening for at least year, even though during that time I've used several different builds in both 10.5 and 10.6 -- and on two different development machines.

DealerModulesDevClub member 11/11/2021

Hi Pete,
I have not had this issue.

Are you saving your project file to an online device like OneDrive, etc.?
Or are you saving your project file to a network device or share?
Or are you using folder redirection on your network?
Or are you saving your project to an attached USB storage device?

I am sure your answer is probably no. Just trying to come up with something that would slow down or stop writing your project file.
Paul

Pete K author 11/15/2021

Paul, thanks for throwing out those great questions. I did at one time have my working project folders within a folder that synced with MS OneDrive. That was causing issues with exceptions during builds. So now I have them on a regular drive on my development machine. In fact, I'm using the new recomendation: C:\Projects...

So the answer is no to all of those questions.

It's driving me nuts trying to find a possible cause. Until I switched to a new dev machine back in July, I hoped it was something having to do with the old computer, but alas, no. It's just so weird that I seem to be the only erpson with this issue despite seeing it persist across multiple machines and multiple versions of ASPR. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong, but for the life of me I can't think of what it might be!

—Pete

jadachDevClub member 11/19/2021

Peter, I have noticed this every so often. What I do now, is after making changes in the designer, I check the editor section and there you should see evidance it was saved. If it doesn't show your changes, best to save the project, close out and re-open.

Not sure what causes this behavior. It really is only once in a while.