This topic is locked

font issue- not proper characters displayed

1/12/2021 8:02:20 AM
PHPRunner General questions
G
gchowani author

Hi ALL,
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
I have a problem that country typical fonts in data greed - Polish fonts like "ę ó ł ą ś ż ź ń ć " are not displayed correctly or replaced with ? character online,

even they are properly visible in MSSQL database and properly visible through Query->Results within my project edit.
I use Linux server with Apache+ PHP5.6+ MSSQL database,

on MSSQL database: Collation: Polish_CI_AS, Data type: nvarchar and within project Output Code Page: Unicode(UTF8)+ PL language.
I spend so many hours trying to fix it or search any advice on forum with no lack or progress,

unfortunately there in no possibility to use PHP extension=php_com_dotnet.dll on Linux and I am afraid that this can be the root cause.
Any advice is Welcome

Thanks in advance!

admin 1/12/2021

I must say that using SQL Server with a Linux web server is usually not the best idea. While I don't know if this can be fixed in this setup or not I can definitely suggest changing the database collation to one that supports UTF8. Maybe it will work better if you have UTF8 data stored in the database.

G
gchowani author 1/12/2021

THANK you Sergey for the advice!!
Instead of the font issue, honestly speaking MSSQL database works very well on my Linux distro, but I am not the geek here.

In case of COLLATION advice, I had such a trial
I have used:

VARCHAR + COLLATION Polish_100_CI_AI_SC_UTF8
instead of:

NVARCHAR + COLLATION Polish_CI_AS
Unfortunately this not fix Polish font issue.

Do you believe that there is any hope (solution) or there is a must to switch MSSQL to MySQL database?
Thank you in advance!

admin 1/12/2021

You can experiment with different database drivers to see which one will return the data the proper way. Also check this:

https://www.freetds.org/userguide/Localization.html
Using MySQL though is an easier option.