This topic is locked
[SOLVED]

Export to Excel Master and Details Tables

7/23/2020 12:27:38 PM
ASPRunner.NET General questions
I
i.NoLim author

I have an app the utilizes two tables: Family and Individual. These 2 tables are linked using the "FamilyID" field.

1. Master table - Family

[list]
  2. FamilyID
  3. FamilyLastName
  4. Address

[*]Details Table - Individual

• IndividualID
  • FamilyID
  • FirstName
  • LastName
  • PhoneNo
  • Email

[/list]

Is there a way to export the Master and Details tables in the same file? Essentially this is what the end-user would like to do:

1. In the Family table, search for "Smith"
  2. The results display all Families that have the last name "Smith" along with how many family members are in each Family
  3. Click on "Export" and Export all Families along with each Individual within each Family.

I also have another app where 1 table serves as its own Master and Details table. They each display different information and have different events but are using the same table in SQL. Would this make it easier or harder to export?

admin 7/23/2020

I'm not quite sure how would both master and details table data appear in the same Excel file. Do you have an example?

FrankR_ENTA 7/24/2020

If you are ok with the export repeating the master data on each line and essentially dumping a list of the detail data, you should be able to define a custom view that joins those two, and then set up an Export based on that.

I
i.NoLim author 7/28/2020

First of all I want to apologize for my late response, I've been off since Thursday.

I'm not quite sure how would both master and details table data appear in the same Excel file. Do you have an example?

I was thinking something similar to the way its exported when doing it from a report or the way you are able to print a master table along with the details table.
I managed to get something similar to what I need by running a report and grouping by FamilyID, the report is just a bit hard to follow.

If you are ok with the export repeating the master data on each line and essentially dumping a list of the detail data, you should be able to define a custom view that joins those two, and then set up an Export based on that.

Hmm. I don't think that would work for us. Some Families could have 30+ family members, repeating the master data 30+ times would make the report very repetitive and hard to read. Thank you very much for the solution though, maybe there's something there that I can twitch and get what we need.