This topic is locked

Version 10.4

5/4/2020 2:48:58 PM
ASPRunner.NET General questions
jadach authorDevClub member

I just now am testing out 10.4, and after a significant amount of time checking it out, I feel compelled to say I am so pleased with the direction Xlinesoft is going.
The new features in 10.4 are awesome. They will certainly broaden all of our abilities to create great looking, great performing, and complex line-of-business apps.
Thank you Sergey and team!!

J
jetsguy 5/6/2020

I just now am testing out 10.4, and after a significant amount of time checking it out, I feel compelled to say I am so pleased with the direction Xlinesoft is going.
The new features in 10.4 are awesome. They will certainly broaden all of our abilities to create great looking, great performing, and complex line-of-business apps.
Thank you Sergey and team!!

I second that. This product is essential to me and my clients.

joglidden 5/12/2020

+1

FrankR_ENTA 5/14/2020

Same here. 10.4 is extraordinary.
If you are using the REST support, I just created a thread specifically for that.

W
wshoapDevClub member 6/25/2020

Hi Frank,
I am new to setting up Rest APIs. I have enabled it in my app but can't get past authentication. When I enabled Rest API, it created and APIKey in my users table, but I don't know what to do with it. Since the app has a login, I figure I need to use basic authentication when trying to access the api. Neither Basic auth nor using an APIKey appear to work. I keep getting

{"error":"Access denied","success":false} as the return result. Can you help get a newbie at least able access a list via the API?

FrankR_ENTA 6/26/2020

Hi Frank,
I am new to setting up Rest APIs. I have enabled it in my app but can't get past authentication. When I enabled Rest API, it created and APIKey in my users table, but I don't know what to do with it. Since the app has a login, I figure I need to use basic authentication when trying to access the api. Neither Basic auth nor using an APIKey appear to work. I keep getting

{"error":"Access denied","success":false} as the return result. Can you help get a newbie at least able access a list via the API?

Hi - I want to help, but I don't know how to use the REST specific authentication. I believe there will be a documentation update that will tell us how to use that.
If you read my other latest thread on REST in 10.4, I make a reference to the regular app authentication being applied to the API call. So, in my case, I had Windows Authentication configured for the app, as I do in all my ASPRunner.NET apps - and that then required username and password to be passed to the API call. I illustrate that in a Python test driver script.
If possible, I recommend, at the start, you don't have Any authentication configured for the app. Get your views configured. And Then try to add the REST specific authentication when you get closer to the end of the work. By then, we will hopefully have a document update on the REST support.

FrankR_ENTA 6/29/2020

Hi Frank,

I can help a little more now. The short answer is: watch this video: OWN REST API Key - Stored procedure parameters
The longer answer is, to use an apikey:

• Set up your users table. [best to just have ASPRunner.NET generate those]
  • Set up username and password in that table.
  • Fill in the apikey column for the username and password.
  • Go back to REST API button of Miscellaneous tab
  • Select API key, and choose the field that holds the key
    If you are using the view from inside your ASPRunner.NET app, run your app, use the username and password, and the apikey will be handled automatically.

If you are calling the API from outside your ASPRunner.NET app, on your invocation of the endpoint, you will need to pass the username and password, but then, you will have to add a parameter for passing the apikey.
    An example is something like: http://localhost:8086/api/v1?apikey=theactualkeyhere&table=myview&action=list
    Hope this helps.