This topic is locked

ODBC Issue

4/22/2019 3:24:04 PM
ASPRunner.NET General questions
D
DebZ author

Hello,
I have both System and User DSN's on a Windows 10 machine with ASPRunner Enterprise 10.1 installed. When I click new project and choose ODBC none of my DSN's show up. (Even after clicking refresh.)

I realize I could just choose SQL and manually supply the credentials, but my solution that gets produced to the web server will utilize NT Authentication in the string if possible. (That way each individual user of the web page will only have access to the data as defined in SQL server.)
Maybe there is a better way to do what I'm attempting. But, either way, shouldn't the DSN's show up in the list?
Deb

Pete K 4/23/2019

Hello,
I have both System and User DSN's on a Windows 10 machine with ASPRunner Enterprise 10.1 installed. When I click new project and choose ODBC none of my DSN's show up. (Even after clicking refresh.)

I realize I could just choose SQL and manually supply the credentials, but my solution that gets produced to the web server will utilize NT Authentication in the string if possible. (That way each individual user of the web page will only have access to the data as defined in SQL server.)
Maybe there is a better way to do what I'm attempting. But, either way, shouldn't the DSN's show up in the list?
Deb

Hi Deb. I don't know the answer to your question as I haven't used saved DSNs in years. But I think what you want to do is use the Trusted Connection option. If I understand your setup correctly, you have granted NT rights to users using their NT domain accounts on the database objects, correct? In that case your generated app will pass their credentials to the database.

D
DebZ author 4/23/2019

Thank You! Yes, all the permissions to the tables and columns in the tables are locked down by Active Directory username permissions. (And Groups.)
I know I could use the username/password features built into ASPRunner.net but this way requires less coding changes.

T
Tim 4/26/2019

It's been a while since I used ODBC but I do know that there are 2 separate ODBC administration applications for 64 bit and 32 bit. So if your OS is 64 bit and you open the ODBC admin app from your start menu, then enter a connection, then open a 32 bit application, you won't see the connection you just set up. ASPR comes in both flavors, so maybe you're using 32 bit?
To set up the DSN for 32 bit applications you need to use the 32 bit version of the admin app.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/942976/odbc-administrator-tool-displays-both-the-32-bit-and-the-64-bit-user-d
Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Tim