This topic is locked

Browser Loading Speeds

4/18/2019 4:42:19 AM
ASPRunner.NET General questions
D
DCherrington author

In various projects that we've been using ASPRunner.NET for in our organisation, I've noticed that there is quite a difference between loading pages in Google Chrome and loading pages in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
This particularly affects list pages where we have many rows of data (in excess of 10000 rows).
What types of browser are other people using for the projects, and does anyone else experience differences in loading times between different browser types like we do? Just wondered if there was a reason.

jadachDevClub member 4/18/2019

I work in a hospital and we also have many apps in the environment built with ASPRunner.Net.
Our default browser is IE11. I also use Chrome personally.
I really haven't noticed much of a difference.
What browser is running slow for you? If it's IE, it could be policies, configuration, etc. from the server/network folks. I know where I am, they are constantly messing with IE.

admin 4/18/2019

It is a bit strange. Usually amount of data you have only matters for server side code and version/type of browser normally doesn't matter (unless you want to display all 10000 records on one page).

D
DCherrington author 4/23/2019

I work in a hospital and we also have many apps in the environment built with ASPRunner.Net.
Our default browser is IE11. I also use Chrome personally.
I really haven't noticed much of a difference.
What browser is running slow for you? If it's IE, it could be policies, configuration, etc. from the server/network folks. I know where I am, they are constantly messing with IE.

I'm in the same situation, working for a hospital here in the UK. We also use the same default browsers, so I'll definitely look into the policies and configuration setup of the browser to see if we can spot something.

J
jetsguy 6/13/2019

I'm in the same situation, working for a hospital here in the UK. We also use the same default browsers, so I'll definitely look into the policies and configuration setup of the browser to see if we can spot something.

I have seen this too. Please share what you find.

J
joejvgasprunner 6/22/2019

I agree with the observation that Chrome performs much better than Internet Explorer. I only use IE with Visual Studio Debug as it seems to behave better than Chrome. However, I never use anything but Chrome except to perform cross-browser testing. Since Visual Studio was in the mix I decided to do some standalone cross browser testing. I was surprised at how slow IE was compared with Chrome. I am checking Firefox to see if it has the same issues and also looking at GTMetrix to see where the bottleneck is. It definitely has to do with the number of records. I have one table with 15,000 records and multiple joins with four other tables, one of which has the same number of records. IE literally crawls loading this list while Chrome loads it in a time frame where you don't want to start looking for a hand crank. IE is also slow with table having less rows although it loads in about five seconds on those. I believe the table with 15,000 rows took 30 seconds to load the table list. I kept telling my client it worked fine so he also is verifying and I am asking if his clients are using IE. I am sure they are. Either way I am doing some performance measurements at GTMetrix which should show some metrics that prove their is a difference and hopefully will point to the problem.