This topic is locked

How to create a static help page for users in a tab

2/15/2019 6:52:59 PM
PHPRunner General questions
B
bussb author

Hello, I have various modules in my PHPRunner application, each with a tab. I would like to have a tab named "Help" that appears on the menu.php and on the list.php so that new users to my app can read basic getting started instructions, FAQ, and watch some tutorial videos. I don't want to link to an external website page, as I want the users to be logged in via PHPRunner in order to see this tab link. But it would be nice if I could make the help page content an HTML file, so I could embed videos and use my own design.

jadachDevClub member 2/15/2019

You can add a custom html page and link to that right inside PHPRunner. Only problem, it's static and not protected.
You may want to consider building a help table in your database. This is what I do. I use it for help topics and snippets for pages needing instructions.
Doing it like this, you can use security and be able to update instructions or add videos, etc. without touching the generated application.

admin 2/17/2019

You can create this kind of static page either outside of PHPRunner or in PHPRunner itself under Custom Files. It doesn't really matter where and how you create it, static page is a static page. Then you can add a link to this page via Menu Builder.
It is correct to say that this static page can be seen by anyone, not by just logged in users. This should not be a problem though, this is a manual and there is no harm in making it accessible to everyone.

B
bussb author 2/22/2019

I know that I can link to an external page with the menu builder, but what I am seeking is a page that is behind the username/password permissions. Unless a better solution is posted here, what I will have to do is create a simple table with PDF files attached or HTML files, and a memo field describing the help file content in the attachment. I was hoping to link to tutorial videos and content I have created via my video host, Wistia.