This topic is locked

Auto fill a field with next available number

10/11/2018 9:31:20 AM
PHPRunner General questions
S
schaet author

Hello,

I am trying to get a field to auto-populate based on a couple of criteria:
I have two fields that make up IP Address ranges, IE: range A= 10.10.10.1 - 10.10.10.20, Range B=10.10.10.21 - 10.10.10.30, Range C=10.10.10.31 - 10.10.10.40 and so on. What I am looking to do in auto-populate the IP field with the next available address in a given range based on the selection of the range.
Use case: I am creating a new record for range A. When I click 'Add' I would like the next available unused address in range 'A' to auto-populate the appropriate field.
The way I have my table is I that have a column called 'first_ip' and another called 'last_ip' and the one to auto-populate called 'ip'
I know that I will need to use INET_ATON to convert the IP addresses to a whole number, but I'm stuck on how to query against the 'ip' column and determine what hasn't been used yet and populate in the field.
Thanks!

admin 10/11/2018

Here is an example of checking if specific record already exists. Should point you in the right direction:

https://xlinesoft.com/phprunner/docs/check_if_specific_record_exists.htm

S
schaet author 10/11/2018

Here is an example of checking if specific record already exists. Should point you in the right direction:

https://xlinesoft.com/phprunner/docs/check_if_specific_record_exists.htm

Thank you. It is a good start on how the logic would work, but I think I would need to do this with the JavaScript OnLoad event to already choose a free value? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

jadachDevClub member 10/11/2018

This seems interesting to me. What if you had a view created on the database side that shows last recorded IP per range + 1 not to exceed 20 or whatever the end is? Then you can auto-populate that value.

S
schaet author 10/12/2018

jadach,

I see what you're saying, however I'm working with existing data and they are not all contiguous, so that will leave gaps.
I have a query that will breakdown the IP's by ranges that they belong to:
SELECT *

FROM hosts, ``

WHERE INET_ATON(ip) BETWEEN INET_ATON(first_ip) AND INET_ATON(last_ip);
This works well. I'm trying to figure out how to add to it to pick a random IP from the 'ip' column based on the select statement. I hope this makes sense.