This topic is locked

Bar-code Scaning

8/24/2014 6:32:41 PM
ASPRunnerPro General questions
G
gonzalosb author

Hi All,

is there any way to add a USB barcode scanner to work with ASPR to fill out fields on add and edit page?

I need this to receive UPS, FEDEX, USPS, etc packages information into my project.
thank you in advance.

M
Maurits 8/25/2014

Just buy a barcode scanner which uses USB which can scan all codes. This will have the same input as a keyboard.
Only thing you might need to do, depending on the barcode scanner is to re-program it.

Some scanner send as standard a carriage return & line feed at the end of the code when scanning. You might have to delete this option in the scanner itself.

This is very straight forward, you normally get a small booklet with barcodes for programming the scanner.

Sometimes you might have to switch this option off as the ASP form thinks you have hit the enter key.
You can switch it on or off by repeating this:
Scan barcode: Program Open

Scan barcode: the option for carriage return & line feed

Scan barcode: Program closed
Always make sure you scan Program close

G
gonzalosb author 8/25/2014

Maurits,

thank you very much for this info, i will buy one and start working on it right away

i was imaging the process more painful...
it will be the same case on finger and credit card readers ?

M
Maurits 8/25/2014

Processing magnetic cards is the same working(keyboard input) as the USB barcode scanner. Only thing is with this you have to have a magnetic card WRITER to make the cards.
You don't have to program them, it just reads the card, if i am right they can read op to three tracks of data, mostly one or two tracks.

Some will split the data by "^" this is the easiest way of splitting the raw data string.
You have to split the raw data string after reading the card into arrays and work with them to refine further.
Here is a youtube video of programming with a usb magnetic card reader and processing the credit card data.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J2KalIYqKg