This topic is locked
[SOLVED]

Migrating Servers

10/20/2010 1:35:19 PM
ASPRunnerPro General questions
M
Mike Nagel author

I can't seem to find a resolution to this issue within the forum:
I'm trying to migrate an application from one server to another (Windows Server 2003 to 2008). I'm copying the application folder without making any changes and it won't run under IIS 7 on the 2008 machine. I get an HTTP 500 error that translates to:
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01a8'

Object required: 'Session'

/xxx/include/dbcommon.asp, line 11
Line 11 of dbcommon.asp is: Session.LCID = 1033
I'm running other applications on this server without any problem, and this app seems to be registered properly with IIS.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

admin 10/20/2010

It looks like something is not right with IIS configuration.
I haven't seen this error before and Google is not much help either. Reinstall IIS if you can. If not - you might want to contact Microsoft support or ask this question in IIS related newsgroups.

C
clig 10/25/2010

I can't seem to find a resolution to this issue within the forum:
I'm trying to migrate an application from one server to another (Windows Server 2003 to 2008). I'm copying the application folder without making any changes and it won't run under IIS 7 on the 2008 machine. I get an HTTP 500 error that translates to:
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01a8'

Object required: 'Session'

/xxx/include/dbcommon.asp, line 11
Line 11 of dbcommon.asp is: Session.LCID = 1033
I'm running other applications on this server without any problem, and this app seems to be registered properly with IIS.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

security on asprunner code directories

scripts only in IIS config

virtual folder? / application config - allow parent paths? - here you can also turn on ASP debugging to be returned to client to get more detail - I'm wondering if it does not see this include folder during execution...
Again if I understand the migration path - then you will need to configure 32 bit support / IIS in 2008 to get ASP running - not enabled by default settings ...

M
Mike Nagel author 10/29/2010

security on asprunner code directories

scripts only in IIS config

virtual folder? / application config - allow parent paths? - here you can also turn on ASP debugging to be returned to client to get more detail - I'm wondering if it does not see this include folder during execution...
Again if I understand the migration path - then you will need to configure 32 bit support / IIS in 2008 to get ASP running - not enabled by default settings ...

Clig,
Everything seems to be set properly. I've opened security wide as a test, and still no luck. I'm also already running on 32-bit. I've you've got a detailed list of settings for IIS 7 that I could check against, that would be great.
Thanks!

admin 10/31/2010

I'm afraid this has nothing to do with IIS settings.
Just in case here is what I'm seeing in IIS under ASP/Session properties
Enable Session State: True

Maximum Sessions: 4294967295

New ID on Secure Connection: True

Time-out: 00:20:00

C
clig 11/4/2010

Clig,
Everything seems to be set properly. I've opened security wide as a test, and still no luck. I'm also already running on 32-bit. I've you've got a detailed list of settings for IIS 7 that I could check against, that would be great.
Thanks!

http://www.iis.net/ConfigReference/system.webServer/asp/session

M
Mike Nagel author 11/17/2010

Guys,
Thanks so much for your help. It turns out that the problem was really just ignorance on my part. I found an excellent video on the IIS site that steps you through the process of adding a site to IIS7. I was missing a couple of really major steps that were causing security related issues (which was the underlying cause of my problem).
In a nutshell (for those having similar troubles) here's what I did to get the site up and running:

1. Copy the code into the C:\inetpub\wwwroot folder on my server
  2. Open the IIS Manager and expand the Sites\Default Web Site options
  3. Ensure that the code folder previously copied is displayed as a folder under the Default Web Site option
  4. Right-click the site folder and select "Convert to Application" from the context menu
  5. Select the defaults by clicking OK (the site folder icon changes to an application icon)
  6. Select the site icon and double-click the ASP Feature icon
  7. Under ASP, change the Enable Parent Paths option to True and expand the Session Properties option
  8. Under Session Properties, change the Enable Session State option to True
  9. Close out of IIS
    After following these steps, I could access my site at: http:\\servername\sitefoldername
    Thanks again! :-)
    -- Mike
    EDIT: One other thing ... I had to make the application folders under wwwroot available to Authenticated Users with Modify access (otherwise data cannot be saved to the database). This may change once I migrate the data to its final home, but for testing purposes it does the trick.