Forums: Plans for the next version of ASPRunnerPro/PHPRunner - Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Plans for the next version of ASPRunnerPro/PHPRunner Rate Topic: ****- 1 Votes

Poll: Features list for the next ASPRunnerPro/PHPRunner version (303 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick up to three feature groups you like to see in the next version

1. Events (155 votes [18.07%])

Percentage of vote: 18.07%

2. Visual Editor enhancements (224 votes [26.11%])

Percentage of vote: 26.11%

3. SQL query designer, master-details relationships designer (155 votes [18.07%])

Percentage of vote: 18.07%

4. UI pack (160 votes [18.65%])

Percentage of vote: 18.65%

5. Security pack (93 votes [10.84%])

Percentage of vote: 10.84%

6. Miscellaneous (71 votes [8.28%])

Percentage of vote: 8.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   admin 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

We have released ASPRunnerPro 5.0/PHPRunner 4.0 a bit earlier than it was expected. Now it's the time to build a list of features for the next major update.

All features we'd like to implement fall into the following categories.
Most probably we won't be able to include all features in the next update which means three or four most important need to be picked. Pick up to three features you believe the most important.

1. Events

New events, new event parameters to simplify development.
Access to both old and new data record in BeforeEdit/AfterEdit events.
New events on the List page to simplify calculation and displaying of subtotals, rows coloring based on data, inserting empty lines between record groups etc.

2. Visual Editor enhancements

More than 40 improvements on "to do" list.

3. SQL query designer, master-details relationships designer

Visual SQL query builder, multiple master-details primary-foreign keys support.

4. UI pack

templates enhancements like multiedit/multiadd records on the list page, changing columns width and order on the list page, sorting data by several fields, data filtering and more.

5. Security pack

http://www.asprunner...?showtopic=4533

6. Miscellaneous

Data import, javascript events, stored procedures generation, separate edit types on Edit/Add pages, splitting Add/Edit into several pages.
Best regards,
Sergey Kornilov

#2 User is offline   Ralph 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:27 AM

I've been working on my own template for multi-edit. I think that's a key feature.

At the present time, in order to edit a few records the user has to click an Edit link, enter the changes, save the changes, go back to the list, and repeat. With multi-edit, you just edit a record within the list, then click Save. Repeat. That is much easier and adds a different level of control and convenience.

Here's another issue. I mentioned above that I'm working on a template. Right now, in order to use my new multi-edit template, I have to replace the existing list.htm template with my new one so that PHPRunner will generate code using the modified list.htm.

It would be very helpful if I could add my customized template to PHPRunner without having to discard an existing one. I realize this is a challenge to manage from the point of view of PHPRunner's interface, but I think it would be worthwhile. More users might be inspired to write or modify templates, which in time might be incorporated into PHPRunner.

Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Ralph

#3 User is offline   charly1211 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

I think the best new features where you can save a lot of time are the new events, multi-add/multi-edit feature and import functions. It would be nice to add new source files to a project, regardless if this is a new list template, another css or javascript file.

Are there any templates for multi-add/multi-edit or importing data from users who have tried to do this for their own to enhance phprunner functionality?

#4 User is offline   deeg 

• PipPip

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

#1, #4, #5

#5 User is offline   admin 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

Raplh and charly1211,

you can create your own templates and layouts as well as add more files to existing templates.
Take a look at Templates directory where templates, layouts and styles are stored.
You can add new template or layout copying existing one. New templates/layouts will be available for selection in ASPRunnerPro/PHPRunner.

See manual for additional info on layouts and templates.

Please note that templates consist of database, project file and HTML files.
If you like to modify source code we recommend to use Events. This way we can keep your templates compatible with future versions of ASPRunnerPro/PHPRunner.
Best regards,
Sergey Kornilov

#6 User is offline   Ralph 

• PipPip

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:41 PM

View Postadmin, on May 25 2007, 05:52 PM, said:

Raplh and charly1211,
you can create your own templates and layouts as well as add more files to existing templates... New templates/layouts will be available for selection in ASPRunnerPro/PHPRunner.

Sergey,

The upgrade manual for PHPRunner 3.1, at http://www.xlinesoft...grade_guide.htm, states that

"Template editor is gone In new version there is no template editor anymore. It was replaced by WYSIWYG visual editor... You cannot use custom templates created in older versions of PHPRunner"

A few weeks ago I added a new directory to templates/layouts, called my_custom_layout. In there I copied all the contents of the existing style1 directory, with a few changes. This new custom_layouts directory was visible inside PHPRunner, and it works fine.

In response to your message above, I tried adding a new listedit.htm template to the templates/layouts directory. Then I opened PHPRunner, but I saw no additional templates available. I can edit list.htm, without changing the name of that file, and my new version is used by PHPRunner. In that case my new version replaces the old version.

It would be helpful to be able to add entirely new templates, with different names, without removing existing templates. Is that possible? If so, can you tell me how to accomplish it?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Ralph

#7 User is offline   admin 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

Ralph,

I guess you need to clarify what is your understanding of "entirely new templates, with different names".

If you plan to add files other than List/View etc take a look at files.txt file in source directory (also in source directory of each business template). You can add more files to files.txt and define when and how they be processed.
Best regards,
Sergey Kornilov

#8 User is offline   Declerck 

• PipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

Hello,

I certainly go for the Visual SQL Master/Detail query where you will be able to construct easily Custom View including multip table links.

I hope it will be part of the next release .

Continue the nice work

Jxd

#9 User is offline   scuba 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

Well, actually everything would be great but concerning my project the biggest advantage would be the possibility to edit data directly in List-View and multi-editing. Also, dependent drop downs in Edit-View shouldn't automatically be dependent in Advanced-Search since thereby search-options are getting limited.

best maintained software product and best community service I know of !!!

#10 User is offline   dani 

• PipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

I would be VERY interested in the possibility of having a "split screen" with a scrollable list of master records on the top half, and the detail records corresponding to the currently selected master record showing up on the bottom half.

I think it would be more useful than ajax popups because you could have access to full data AND inline editing of both master and detail tables on the same screen.

#11 User is offline   Tom A. Mannerud 

• PipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:29 PM

For me the two most important things to focus on would be Events and Security. I would especially like a Update Other Table in BeforeEdit event, but any Events makes development a lot easier and streamlined. As far as security I would like to see "3 strikes and your out" (that is locked out - for a period of time or until the admin unlocks the account) and some type of audit functionality where all add/edit/removes are tracked in perhaps a seperate database or log.

#12 User is offline   chemi 

• Pip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

First I must say this product (PHPrunner is the one Im using now) is developing in the right direction, is powerful and with a good balance of feaures, but most importantly because you, the people at support: listen, help, debug, deliver fast, develop... and even ask for opinions! This is not flattering, just a fact that other much bigger contenders in the software industry dont want to understand!

My suggestions on improvements:

- Not easy: why not to document a little else the internals workings of the code generation, templates, variables used, debugging, how to examples?... something to help the intermediate PHP developer: I think most of us here fall in this category. I would really appreciate a central knowledgbase or document where I could find some extra information without jumping from topic to topic. Probably this will help you also in support in the long run :-) I dont mean a thick manual reference, but maybe kind of wiki with "how tos" and quick reference..

- Not very difficult for you ;-): an structure/interface to expand unlimited levels of subcategories. Im sure thousands of projects need this feature. Usually its not enough with just one subcategory level. I even mean your product creating a table structure to hold of nodes, childs... and link fields so that other tables could hook on them as well and obviously the interface to manage it.

- Im happy to hear about more gadgets in the visual editor... too many times I have to recreate the project and my visual editor work/field setting has to be redone... could you provide an easy way to save this specific part of project so that can be reused again?

- Also maybe some work for the rest of us: A forum thread specific for users of this product aimed to share all the good ideas this fantastic tool empowers: from example projects to tutorials, case studies, code snippets, events and even third party plugins... anything that could help not to reinvent the wheel, spark ideas and learn a little more.

Thanks and keep the GOOD work!

#13 User is offline   mikesharp 

• Pip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:19 PM

I think SQL query designer, master-details relationships designer is the most important so far, because the application can't work well without robust structure IMHO,

Mike

#14 User is offline   tazza_no1 

• Pip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:15 AM

I would loke see the following in the new release of phprunner.

The application should be able to support the MYSQL password encryption and just the phprunner encrypted passwords. If this feature already exists I have failed to find it.

By allowing the native encryption you can create your own php pages if needed for additional functionality.

I would alo like to multiple database connection user option. This would add an extra level of security as you could have some tables using one user with restricted priveleges at mysql level and the admin uses could use another user for access to give them more access. you should be able to use more than one table for user access. one table will contain admin users and the other with standard users. As the standard users will have restricted access this will not allow access to areas of the database that they should not have access to even if there is flaw in the phpcode. (not that their is a flaw, mistakes can happen).

At the moment the only way I can aceive this is by creating two projects pointing to the same database which also adds another entry in the web server.

Under user group permissions more controlo would be nice by separating list/view export/print.

great job so far. just a little more to go and this will be such a excellent application.

#15 User is offline   mazyad 

• PipPip

Post icon  Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:14 PM

I'm grateful of the rapid development and advanced easy to use features of ASPRunnerPro. Your attention to our needs and your prompt delivary is highly appreciated. I would suggest adding general business templates such as a guest book with smily, HelpDesk, Forum, ContactUs, Inventory, Chat would be very helpful. I learned a lot from the included templetes with version 5 especially sendtofreind. Additionally, I would like to see freedom on having separate MDB or MySQL, or SQL Server databases for various application so that the user security and login details are separated from data related to business. Finally, detailed documentation of the generated code logic and philosophy would ease the learning curve for many of us.

Keep up the fantastic work.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic