This topic is locked

Changing first admin user by new users - how to?

3/2/2018 7:23:52 AM
PHPRunner General questions
mbintex author

Hi at all,

I offer SAAS-solutions based on phpRunner with dynamic user settings. Most customers get their individual database with only one user. So I deliver a database with user "admin" and password "admin" as default. This way, currently people can only change the password to their liking, since changing "admin" username to my experience breaks the admin-menu - it isn´t available anymore. But since this is so uncommon, they lock themselves out by thinking, their email address or real world name would be the "new" user name, which is fixed to "admin" in reality. Endless support is the consequence.
Only way I see to have a freely named admin is to add a second user first as standard and changing this from the first admin to admin status. After logging out and logging in with the second admin I could delete the first admin and I am free. But my customers often don´t buy a second or third seat, so I don´t want them to add additional users and therefor hide the add-button in users. Further only having to add a second admin just to rename the first is a bit akward.
How can I give new customers free admin access with username to their linking?

admin 3/2/2018

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Do not let your users change admin username, right? Why would they need this functionality.

mbintex author 3/4/2018

Currently we don´t allow the first admin user to change his username "admin", but only because that breaks the availability of the admin-menu.
But people/customers want to change that too and expect that it can be changed as any other user name. They even believed they have changed it by editing their email-address and real world name and try to login with these, which doesn´t work of course. This way they throw themselves out of the system for five minutes. They get angry at us and we have the support.
Therefor I´d like to see the possibility, that the first admin-name could be changed after publishing the solution at least once.