This topic is locked

PHPrunner and Mysql: how to automatically create tables from existing tables

10/19/2017 5:42:41 PM
PHPRunner General questions
P
Phil author

I'm an estimator, not a programmer. I've been using Excel on estimating purpose for many years. On each file, there are multiple tabs for each type of material price by diameter and by thickness. Each tab looks like this but much bigger:
Material A

Size 1" thick 2" thick 3" thick 4" thick

2"

4"

6"

8"

10"
Then I have a data input tab to decide the discount rate for each type of material. Then I have a takeoff tab for entering the materials required and quantities information and looking up the price from each respective tab. The takeoff could be over 10,000 rows. By doing this, I have an excel file for each project. When it comes to a big project, we have multiple guys doing takeoff, and I have to merge their file to mine.

A couple years ago, I used PHPrunner 8.1 and mysql to build a system for work safety and training records. Now I'm considering the same tool to design an online takeoff system so that multiple colleagues can collaborate on one job and I don't have to do copy and paste anymore. I start with a project_input table and each row is for the project specific data. And I build standard price tables for each type of material. Then my problem is that it seems I have to create separate sets of price tables to reflect discounted rates for each project. I just wonder how I could generate a set of price tables when I enter a new project. Any ideas will be welcome.