This topic is locked

Field Events use case

9/9/2017 3:15:13 PM
ASPRunner.NET Tips and tricks
jadach authorDevClub member

Using field events to let users know before saving a record that a record already exists.
My scenario is I do not want a duplicate Job Title added to the table.
In order to prevent a duplicate field value added, we typically use the "Check if specific record exists" before record added event. Something like:

string strSQLExists = "select JobTitle from dbo.Jobs where JobTitle='"+values["JobTitle"].ToString()+"'";

XVar rsExists = CommonFunctions.db_query(strSQLExists, null);

XVar data = CommonFunctions.db_fetch_array(rsExists);

if(data)

{

message = "This Job Title already exisits.";

return false;

}

else

{

return true;

}

This works perfectly, but wouldn't it be nice if we could let the user know before they even click save?
Here is how we can do that:
On the fields section, click properties of the field you do not want a duplicate. In the upper right, click Field Events.
Your event should be set to editing (dropdown on top). Now click New Handler.
Client Before:

params["val"] = this.getValue();

Server:

string strSQLExists = "select * from Careers.dbo.Jobs where JobTitle='"+parameters["val"].ToString()+"'";

XVar rsExists = CommonFunctions.db_query(strSQLExists, null);

XVar data = CommonFunctions.db_fetch_array(rsExists);

if(data)

{

result["newJobTitle"] = parameters["val"].ToString() + " " + "exists. Please enter another title.";

}

else

{

result["newJobTitle"] = "";

}

Client After:

$("#JobTitleTip").remove();

$("input[id=value_JobTitle_1]").after("<div id='JobTitleTip' style='margin-top: 10px; color: red; font-size: 120%;'>"+result["newJobTitle"]+"</div>");

There you go.

Now having said all that. This scenario can also be accomplished with a simple click of a box. I just wanted to demonstrate the Field Events in action.