This topic is locked

How to use new email templates?

9/9/2017 1:04:36 PM
ASPRunner.NET General questions
Pete K author

I am excited to start using the new email templates feature in 9.8, but I can't find anything about it in the help file, nor can I find anything in the program interface. The screenshot from the 9.8 announcement looks interesting, but there is no information about how to get to this screen to configure the templates or how to use them in an event.
https://xlinesoft.com/blog/2017/06/16/version-9-8-of-phprunner-asprunnerpro-and-asprunner-net/
Has anyone figured it out yet?

jadachDevClub member 9/9/2017

Peter, the email templates can be accessed via Security > Registration and Passwords. I believe the intent is to allow us to overwrite the default responses. For example, when the user forgets a password.

Pete K author 9/11/2017

Hmmmm... all the fields in that dialog are grayed out for me, no doubt because I'm using AD. Which makes sense.
But the 9.8 announcement that I linked to states:
"3. Email templates. Customize any email sent from PHPRunner, ASPRunner.NET or ASPRunnerPro"
I read that as "any email" (because that's what it says). Maybe they just haven't implemented the functionality into the GUI yet for generic emails in other tables/events. I'd like for Sergey to chime in here and let us know.

jadachDevClub member 9/11/2017

Hmmmm... all the fields in that dialog are grayed out for me, no doubt because I'm using AD. Which makes sense.
But the 9.8 announcement that I linked to states:
"3. Email templates. Customize any email sent from PHPRunner, ASPRunner.NET or ASPRunnerPro"
I read that as "any email" (because that's what it says). Maybe they just haven't implemented the functionality into the GUI yet for generic emails in other tables/events. I'd like for Sergey to chime in here and let us know.

I think "any email sent from PHPRunner, ASPRunner.NET or ASPRunnerPro" means emails the generated application sends. Before this, we could not edit those. This is a really good addition. However, not of any use when using AD.

Pete K author 9/11/2017

I can see that, but I can also see the utility of being able to create multi-use templates and call them from any table event. For example, on the project I'm working on now, I have had to create three separate custom views based on the same table (for groups of users with different view/edit rights) and send the exact same email for the add and edit events of all three views. So now if I need to tweak the working of the email, I have to modify event code in 6 places.

A
Arkie 9/11/2017

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but as I read the blog, there should be a "Message Template" page.
Where is this page found? or how do I create it??
~Joe

jadachDevClub member 9/11/2017

I can see that, but I can also see the utility of being able to create multi-use templates and call them from any table event. For example, on the project I'm working on now, I have had to create three separate custom views based on the same table (for groups of users with different view/edit rights) and send the exact same email for the add and edit events of all three views. So now if I need to tweak the working of the email, I have to modify event code in 6 places.

I agree with what you are saying. I am confident at some point, this will be added. This product continues to expand and get better with each release. Maybe add to new feature request.

A
Arkie 9/12/2017

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but as I read the blog, there should be a "Message Template" page.
Where is this page found? or how do I create it??
~Joe

Nevermind... I found the link to set them up under Security->Registration and Passwords.(not a very obvious place to me). I thought it would be under Events.
Now to figure out how to use them for something other than registration ??