[SOLVED]

Multi Step Edit Page

9/7/2017 6:30:24 AM
PHPRunner General questions
G
GregJ author
G
GregJ author 9/18/2017

Appears to me that the 'Previous' button has not been implemented in PHPR 9.8. Might I suggest this as an improvement for the next maintenance release?

HJB 9/18/2017

You click NEXT to reach out to next step, you click on STEP as per TAB INFO seen above to go to any previous STEP ..., so, as for me, no need to implement a PREVIOUS button at all.

G
GregJ author 9/18/2017

You click NEXT to reach out to next step, you click on STEP as per TAB INFO seen above to go to any previous STEP ..., so, as for me, no need to implement a PREVIOUS button at all.

That works for you and I who understand the tabs. It's inconsistent for users simply clicking Next, Next, Next then realizing that they made a mistake on the previous page and want to go back. I have over 500 users using this page once a year. It's not reasonable to educate them on the use of the tabs when a simple Previous button solves the issue for them.

HJB 9/18/2017

Your "It's not reasonable to educate them on the use of the tabs ...", I take the liberty to point out that indeed it had been the USERS who had been reminding, if not to say, protesting on reasons WHY lots of web browsers had NOT being supporting TABBED page functionality over past years, leading to the fact that most used web browsers are supporting it by now ..., so, I don't agree with you at all in regard to the term "education", simply because the users seemed to be more advanced that the developers in regard to "... making the web easier ..." issues. Anyway, I don't see any problem at all why you should not insert a hinting text into the step-by-step tables somewhere that TABS can used to hop to any section of the add/edit page. And at least me is thinking, youjr 500 users won't get angry about such hint at all, in contrary, it could cause even a shitstorm-like feedback to you with the tenor "... we are not that stupid at all like you think...".

G
GregJ author 9/18/2017

Your "It's not reasonable to educate them on the use of the tabs ...", I take the liberty to point out that indeed it had been the USERS who had been reminding, if not to say, protesting on reasons WHY lots of web browsers had NOT being supporting TABBED page functionality over past years, leading to the fact that most used web browsers are supporting it by now ..., so, I don't agree with you at all in regard to the term "education", simply because the users seemed to be more advanced that the developers in regard to "... making the web easier ..." issues. Anyway, I don't see any problem at all why you should not insert a hinting text into the step-by-step tables somewhere that TABS can used to hop to any section of the add/edit page. And at least me is thinking, youjr 500 users won't get angry about such hint at all, in contrary, it could cause even a shitstorm-like feedback to you with the tenor "... we are not that stupid at all like you think...".

Using that logic then we should just eliminate the Next button too and force them to use the tabs from the start. These are non technical users that have difficulty even entering data correctly. If the user interface is inconsistent they just give up in frustration. The Previous button works in harmony with Next to help them stay focused on what they are doing without having to fuss with the tabs. It's just good UX design.

HJB 9/18/2017

Yours "It's just good UX design ..." refers. Sure, while some people from REDMOND tried for 25+ years to make a UX design which can be understood by all users, fact remains, the problem is NOT the design, but the one who is sitting in front of the screen. To simply expect the Xlinesoft developer team to bring out a usability product which surpasses of what is originating from REDMOND is a little bit far-fetched. Since there already in NEXT button in place (where one can see the code behind it), what hinders you to simply make your own PREVIOUS button to provide a kind of workaround for your users? https://xlinesoft.com/phprunner/docs/inserting_button.htm for inspiration purposes only ...

admin 9/18/2017

Just an idea - you can implement a custom tabbed form and add your own Next/Prev buttons to that page.
Here is the link to Tabs API:

https://xlinesoft.com/phprunner/docs/about_tabs_sections_api.htm
For instance for 'Next button' you need to read the current tab ID, make sure this is not the last tab already and make N+1 tab active.

G
GregJ author 9/18/2017

Just an idea - you can implement a custom tabbed form and add your own Next/Prev buttons to that page.
Here is the link to Tabs API:

https://xlinesoft.co...ections_api.htm
For instance for 'Next button' you need to read the current tab ID, make sure this is not the last tab already and make N+1 tab active.

Thanks Sergey. Appreciate your input on this. I'll give it a go.

H
headingwest 9/27/2017

+1 to "Previous" button. Users will be users.