This topic is locked

PHP vs ASP

8/29/2017 3:30:58 PM
ASPRunnerPro General questions
M
Melanie authorDevClub member

So I created an ASP application (hitting MSSQL) using asprunner pro. It runs very small compact queries, updates etc. Users have complained that it is slow and it does seem slow to me as well. It is installed on IIS (windows server 2016). I decided to download the trial of phprunner and duplicate the application to see if there is a difference and the difference is HUGE. The PHP application runs 1000 times faster. I obviously have already written the application in asp and purchased asp - as well as already having a fairly good handle on the events I need using asp - so I really don't want to change to php - but why is there such a large difference? From what I have read, there should not be that much of a difference. I have looked at what I might need to tweak on the IIS itself but have not found a smoking gun.
Any suggestions?

admin 8/29/2017

Unfortunately ASP works much slower in general. Not 1000 times slower but definitely you can see 10 times better performance in PHP apps.
You can find more info on this in this article:

https://xlinesoft.com/blog/2015/12/17/technology-choices/
I recommend to contact support directly so we can figure the best switch/upgrade path for you.

M
Melanie authorDevClub member 8/30/2017

Unfortunately ASP works much slower in general. Not 1000 times slower but definitely you can see 10 times better performance in PHP apps.
You can find more info on this in this article:

https://xlinesoft.com/blog/2015/12/17/technology-choices/
I recommend to contact support directly so we can figure the best switch/upgrade path for you.

Thank you, I have opened a ticket hopefully I can change over to php as it seems to work much better in my environment.

A
Arkie 8/30/2017

I'd really like to know which road you choose and why your question didn't include Asprunner.net.
Per the admin's referenced article, both PHP and .Net should perform well and the migration path from Pro to .Net should be a walk in the park compared to a move to PHP.
~Joe

admin 8/31/2017

I just want to confirm that both PHPRunner and ASPRunner.NET woulld be a reasonable solution to this issue. It is more a preference, what kind of tools and environment you are more familiar with.

romaldus 9/15/2017

As a freelancer i choose php not only because it is fast and platform independent but also because of my target market are mid class companies. Such companies usually have a small budget for hosting or buy a new server. Php app runs very fast even on a cheap Linux shared hosting.