This topic is locked

Master - Detail Page - Formatting

8/21/2017 5:29:33 PM
PHPRunner General questions
W
wheathcock author

Any suggestions on how to have the Detail Page fields in a Master - Detail situation align in columns vertically - something similar to bootstrap_3_column like in Styles/ Add Pages, instead of horizontally. It's very cumbersome when adding Master - Detail records to have to scrolling through the fields. Even by creating a View for the Detail Page and limiting the fields it's still not very user friendly.
This is the only reference I found and it's not helping accomplish my objective.

https://xlinesoft.com/phprunner/docs/display_details_table_on_tab_on_add_edit_view_page.htm
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

admin 8/22/2017

I guess you need to post some sort of screenshot that would explain what kind of layout issue you dealing with currently.

H
Hertz2P 8/22/2017

Actually, I was going to ask a question similar to this and perhaps my question will clarify his issue..
When you have a Master/Details relationship and you check the boxes to display details data on the add/edit/view pages, it only allows you to enter/view that Details data in an inline (horizontal) format. I've noticed that if I Edit from the Master record after it's been saved, it allows me to edit in a popup instead, with a vertical layout that works well in bootstrap. Is there a way to display and Add in this (popup) format from the Master table pages?
I can give you access to a database or post pics if needed.
Thanks,

Ed

W
wheathcock author 8/23/2017

Actually, I was going to ask a question similar to this and perhaps my question will clarify his issue..
When you have a Master/Details relationship and you check the boxes to display details data on the add/edit/view pages, it only allows you to enter/view that Details data in an inline (horizontal) format. I've noticed that if I Edit from the Master record after it's been saved, it allows me to edit in a popup instead, with a vertical layout that works well in bootstrap. Is there a way to display and Add in this (popup) format from the Master table pages?
I can give you access to a database or post pics if needed.
Thanks,

Ed

Here is my example. My attached examples are without the "show in Pop-Up for add/edit/view" turned off, you obviously get the benefit of more screen real estate. The issue for me is magnified when you choose to use the Ajax Pop-Up's (add/view/edit) checked.

Appreciate any insight.

H
Hertz2P 8/23/2017

Here is my example. My attached examples are without the "show in Pop-Up for add/edit/view" turned off, you obviously get the benefit of more screen real estate. The issue for me is magnified when you choose to use the Ajax Pop-Up's (add/view/edit) checked.

Appreciate any insight.

I think those settings don't work when using the Master/Details relationship.
To illustrate what I was saying, save the master record without adding anything to the Details table, then open and Add a new record to the Details table while 'Editing' the Master record.. A popup will open and allow you to add a record to the Details table that works perfectly with bootstrap on a mobile device. It would be great if this could happen when Adding the Master record (as opposed to Editing it,) since I have dynamic fields in my Details table that appear/disappear according to prior selections in the table, a feature that doesn't work in the 'list view' but work great in the popup.

H
Hertz2P 8/23/2017

Actually, in the list page settings of the Details table, click the 'Grid layout...' and set it to vertical. That may solve your issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve mine.

W
wheathcock author 8/23/2017

I think those settings don't work when using the Master/Details relationship.
To illustrate what I was saying, save the master record without adding anything to the Details table, then open and Add a new record to the Details table while 'Editing' the Master record.. A popup will open and allow you to add a record to the Details table that works perfectly with bootstrap on a mobile device. It would be great if this could happen when Adding the Master record (as opposed to Editing it,) since I have dynamic fields in my Details table that appear/disappear according to prior selections in the table, a feature that doesn't work in the 'list view' but work great in the popup.

I see what your saying.
Thank you.

admin 8/23/2017

I see what you saying. We only have horizontal layout for details tables. Your options are display less details table fields or make them narrower.

H
Hertz2P 8/23/2017

I see what you saying. We only have horizontal layout for details tables. Your options are display less details table fields or make them narrower.

Sergey, is there a way to make the Add page in the Details table popup when Adding the Master as it does when you Edit the Master table and Add a details page as described above? This would be extremely helpful if possible (which it seems, should be.)

W
wheathcock author 8/25/2017

Sergey, is there a way to make the Add page in the Details table popup when Adding the Master as it does when you Edit the Master table and Add a details page as described above? This would be extremely helpful if possible (which it seems, should be.)

I'm stalled trying to roll out an Application with Master - Detail pages that provides streamlined navigation (our request seems fundamental in design.) I've limited as many fields as possible - without losing effectiveness, yet it's still cumbersome to navigate. Also, I've tried adding multi-views (which creates more issues because of the ID being written and the 2nd view doesn't know the records ID (when adding all detail pages at the same time.) It doesn't make sense to add a Master record save it, then a detailed record save it and so on. Just curious what is the answer, to stick everything into one massive table? Not sure that is the solution - with the objective of building an enterprise solution. I'm stuck.