This topic is locked

Group email/text

3/22/2017 10:43:06 PM
PHPRunner General questions
H
Hertz2P author

I think this one will be a simple yes or no.. I'm going to put a 'text blast' into a project where a user can click people or groups to send them text or email messages. I'm sure this is nothing that hasn't been done before..
So I'm planning on making 'groups' like "management", "truck drivers", "labor", "everyone" etc. Most people will fall into multiple categories, and I don't even know what all of them will be in the future.
I know that I can easily write the code now if I were to make a checkbox field for each category and then just check the ones that apply to each employee. The problem is that I would have to add a field every time they wanted a new category.
What I want to do instead is have a single "categories" field on the employees table that is populated from a lookup wizard that gets all the categories from a 'categories' table. This part works fine and I have several checkboxes in the categories field on the add page of the lookup wizard from the employees table. The view page just lists them as text, separated by commas.
What I want to know is if it is possible to use this "categories" field in my textblast table.. i.e. can I use the data to send to the checked categories? I've tried and the list only populates with individuals that only have a single category box ticked. Is the data in those boxes still able to be used, or do I need to have separate fields for each category?
Thanks!