This topic is locked
[SOLVED]

Active Directory - ASPR.net not adding admins to users table

2/22/2017 10:07:33 AM
ASPRunner.NET General questions
Pete K author

I'm probably doing something wrong as this is the first time I've attempted to use AD security in an ASPR.net application. Here's what I've done and what is happening:

• I selected Active Directory on the Security module and put in the Domain and Server info
  • Under Permissions, I checked Use Dynamic Permissions and let ASPR.net create the security tables
  • I clicked "Add Admin User", found my AD user account, and clicked to add it to the Project Administrators list box, and clicked "OK"
  • I checked Login automatically and supplied a domain account for accessing AD
  • Built and ran the app

The first thing I notice is that it doesn't log me in automatically, but I assume that is because it is running on IIS express locally. (I assume that will work when I upload it to the server with anonymous access disabled.) So I get the ASPR.net generated login page, on which I enter my domain credentials, and am successfully authenticated. I know it recognizes my account because I see my full name in the user info area. So far so good. However, I am unable to access anything within my app -- the menu is empty and there is no Admin area from which to manage permissions.
When I look at the security tables that ASPR.net created in the database, they are empty. I would have thought it would have created an admin group and added my login to the _ugmembers table, etc. But all three tables are empty.
Did I miss a step?

jadachDevClub member 2/22/2017

Peter, I do this all the time.
I never use my name for admin, rather an AD group called web.admins. Then I add myself and my team to that group.

When I set up the admin account, I simply paste web.admins into the field. No need to look up if you know the group.

I then add my role ad groups right into the database table just to avoid looking up. Our AD is really big.

When I login locally I can get to the admin section to allow me to set access via the ad groups.
It sounds like you did everything right. You should see the admin area, but nothing else.

Pete K author 2/22/2017

Thanks for the reply, Jerry. That did it. Much appreciated.