This topic is locked

The best advice I can give anyone just starting out...

3/22/2016 9:39:47 AM
IronSpeed to ASPRunner.NET transition
Pete K author

After about a month, I can tell you what my biggest mistake was in trying to transition from ISD, and the biggest pitfall to avoid, in my opinion.
You might be tempted to immediately begin trying to get your pages to look the way you want them to by playing around with the editor, dragging fields around, adding and deleting fields, messing with fonts, colors, tweaking label names, etc. Don't do it! The editor should be your last resort for this kind of thing. Unlike Iron Speed, ASPR.net is very much focused on doing these things by setting properties. Pay particular attention to the Pages, Fields, and Totals sections for getting your pages and fields the way you want them. Get to know what you can do in these areas: pick fields to display or not display, decide on a grid or row orientation, the order of presentation, sections, tab groups, and more. You can hide or show a field with the click of a check box. For styling, use the powerful Style section. If you avoid heavy modification in the Editor, you gain the ability to quickly tweak all these things, modifying the underlying table/query, and having everything update automatically.
I learned all this the hard way!

jadachDevClub member 3/24/2016

Good advice. It takes time to go through the school of hard knocks. Once you do however, a sense of power kicks in. I remember my first few months of iron speed. Same kind of learning curve. I think it's the nature of the beast.