This topic is locked

When is next release

10/25/2005 8:09:27 AM
PHPRunner General questions
K
kellyho67 author

I see alot of things from the admin that will be in the next release. Some key ones like Time being fixed to display and insert time. MD5 passwords. Thoes two alone are worth some incremental release but I don't see a roadmap or anything for updates.
Can we get a patch version that has these and any others that could be thrown in?

admin 10/26/2005

We do not plan to release any patches. Next release is scheduled at the end of December.
I guess you do not want software which is not well tested before it's released.

500359 10/26/2005

What I would really like to see in the next release -- or perhaps as a separate addon, is the capability to create and generate simple, attractive reports from the data stored in MySQL.
I have been searching all over for such a software program, but with no success. I'm sure there is a good market for such a product.
I love PHPRunner, but is seems ... well, not quite complete.
Thanks,
Russ

K
kellyho67 author 10/31/2005

We do not plan to release any patches. Next release is scheduled at the end of December.

I guess you do not want software which is not well tested before it's released.

No, actually I do like tested product but like any other out there I don't see why you can't just increment the product to patch the major and broken issues that seem to be the foundation of why you'd use it. Like needing to remove the ||time code to display time fields from the database.
I don't think there is doubt any anyone's mind that the product is off to a great start I just can't see spending money on a product that can't do some very basic things like encrypting the database passwords without the need for the user to modify all the base code. Or to modify code to simply display and edit date time fields. I'm not bashing I'm just trying to understand why a couple of these topics that are all over the board couldn't be solved in a shorter time frame that is all.

admin 10/31/2005

Short of time to argue with you guys I recommend to check the following artcile:
How many Microsoft employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
It answers your question perfectly.

K
kellyho67 author 11/16/2005

I think the point was missed. Test software is very good. The reality is there are bugs in this release (noted in the time display) and a few others found. I think we all want clean code and zero defect but often building a palace only to have it haunted would have been better served with just a house that has what you need. I'm not out to argue this point but I think in general 3 things could really make the product so robust they would be worth doing.
Adding Custom Javascript event or are in add,edit area

Fixing or building in the ability to display and update DateTime fields

Allow for password encryption.
I don't know how well the code is written but given the code produced it looks like you guys are well versed in OO so I'd suggest it could be done.
It now is much closer to December which was the stated date of next release so I would guess is a non-issue at this point we just wait a few more weeks.
All-in-all good product and great for jumpstarting simple projects.