This topic is locked

Importing data into MySQL

7/25/2005 12:14:36 PM
PHPRunner General questions
B
bwilliams author

I am interested in phprunner to enable web page access to hosted MySQL. My first concern, however, is getting Excel files imported into MySQL. Can anyone help me by recommending a script/application or approach for getting this done? I will likely use phpMySQLadmin to facilitate this process but at this point I cannot figure out how to use it to import data files. I am also looking at Navicat (www.navicat.com).
Also, do I need ASPrunner or phprunner to create these web pages for users to access, edit, search, download records/

prleo1 7/25/2005

Stick with Navicat or Toad for MySQL. Toad for MySQL is free, but you have to reinstall every 30 days. Toad is made by Quest software. I used to use TOAD when I was developing in Oracle. It is a damn good tool. Google them, and you should find them quickly.
Importing data from a spreadsheet into MySQL is pretty straightforward in Navicat. Just make sure that you line up the columns correctly and also ensure that your data fits the datatypes in your MySQL database.
Can you re-phrase your second question..?

B
bwilliams author 7/25/2005

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at Toad, though I doubt I'll want to re-install every 30 days. It soundslike you think Navicat is preferable to phpMyAdmin. I don't mind paying for it if it's the easiest product to use. I want to avoid as much command line scripting as possible. The more friendly the better.
I also want to create web pages for my customers to access MySQL database. I want the customers to be able to search a form based on search paramters that I set, edit records if given permission, sort, display, and then download CSV files based on their search if they have the proper permission. I saw that xlinesoft has a phprunner product that looks perfect for this and it's written in php which is ideal. I wondered what the asprunner product did. I can't decipher what's different about the two products.

admin 7/26/2005

ASPRunner is very similar to PHPRunner. ASPRunner generates ASP code while PHPRunner generates PHP code. That's the only difference between those two products.

501219 8/16/2005

I'm considering purchasing PHPRunner as it is able to beautifully handle an application I'm looking at generating...aside from one area. I currently have some functions to import data into the database that I'd like to be able to continue to support. I haven't looked very closely at the generated code yet but is there a way to add a basic import function?

admin 8/17/2005

Jed,
you can made any code changes you need in generated PHP files.